Monday, February 23, 2009

in retrospect, already

among 2008 music that I've found in the last month, I'd make the following observations:

Bryan Scary's the Flight of the Knife should have been my number 2 or so album of the year. the glammy excess of Queen-via-Mika and Elton-John-via-Fluid-Ounces, the angular propulsiveness of The Chinese Album played double-time, plus I-Should-Coco-worthy bass runs and remarkably early-Genesis-esque proggy flourishes. always a couple beats ahead of you, its a super complex, super fun album; how often does that happen?

Ponytail's Celebrate the Body Electric is probably my #3 favorite song of the year. it just builds and collapses and builds, and uses lulls and noise and discomfort to set up one spazzy, grinning climax after another. it puts you on a leash and jerks.

Late of the Pier's Fantasy Black Channel probably would have made my top 10 albums too, but at this point the actual state of that list has gotten all quantum physics.

No comments: