Monday, April 13, 2009

so far

The Pains of Being Young at Heart's Come Saturday and Young Adult Friction both stand a good chance of making my top 10 tracks this year. For reference.

Obviously, animal collective's my girls, is also on the shortlist.

Dan Deacon's new album is really great, but I can't decide if I can reasonably recommend it to anyone (which is, by personal account, everyone I know) who didn't like his last one.

Let's put it this way.

Spiderman of the Ring's was like being chased by 3 midgets in blue jumpsuits who were trying to tickle you with feathers. It was absurd and fun and made you smile if you had the right mindset, and at least a little annoying either way.

Bromst is like a huge gauntlet of 10,000 midgets with feathers that you're supposed to run through. On one hand, that's way more annoying. On the other hand, running through that many feathers is almost less ticklish, and the awe of the situation might get you to overlook the spazzy crassness of it all.

In less abstract terms, it is a much more dense, lush album, almost ambient at times, despite being made up of thousands of notes instead of drones. I really dig it, even though it sort of gives me the shakes.

Finally, for shits, here's my 2008 list if I had it to do again:

1. Girl Talk - Feed the Animals
2. Bryan Scary - The Flight of the Knife
3. Dosh - Wolves and Wishes
4. Blitzen Trapper - Furr
5. Human Highway - Moody Mororcycle
6. Why? - Alopecia
7. No Age - Nouns
8. Beck - Modern Guilt
9. Jay Reatard - Singles (06-07)
10. The Hold Steady - Stay Positive

No comments: